key: in class, activity/homework
- individual check-ins
- continue research
- start developing a visual research “surface”
- collect and curate your research into some visual form — to be presented to the class (next wednesday)
- allow your research to grow naturally, don't feel trapped by your word — think of it more as a starting point. maybe some other word, phrase, or idea starts to take more precedence.
- consider how you might make your surface adaptable to further research. how might it grow and change as you gather more material?
- how does its form, organization, and tone convey and relate to the research?
- present/review composite projects
- go over text collection
- upload your composite project to your google drive folder
- collect 3 paragraphs of text from distinct sources that you feel connect to your composite project in some way
- when selecting, consider the mood, themes, tone, formal qualities, explicit details, etc of your project
- sources can be anything: book, wikipedia, article, costar, wherever text is to be found
- if you want you can write your own paragraph
- maybe collect bits of text/writing from earlier responses to work into the writing...
- once you’ve collected the paragraphs combine them in a single typeset image
- Ian Cheng/speculative media discussion
- look over figma/make account
- reductive workshop
- research *one* word distilled from exercise
- create location: are.na / google doc / (or just put on your blog)
- start collection of images, objects, video, sounds, etc inspired by the word
- follow wormholes
- figure out ways to surprise yourself/not get bored
- include bibliography
- track sources and find the best way to organize this information
- keep track of your path as you are researching, maybe make a map...
- follow your impulses
- have fun
- process check-in/conversation
- talk about something you’ve been working on
- interesting process?
- any problems, troubles?
- introduce composite project
- class site
- introduce daily practice
- set up daily practice space (and send me link)
- make 5-slide introductory presentation
- 1 photo
- 1 word
- 1 creature
- 1 vibe
- 1 wildcard
- maybe you weave a narrative out of it
- maybe everything is united by chaos
- upload these slides to your blog